Heartsaver® First Aid is a classroom, video-based, instructor-led course that teaches students critical skills to respond to and manage an emergency in the first few minutes until emergency medical services (EMS) arrives. Students learn skills such as how to treat bleeding, sprains, broken bones, shock and other first aid emergencies. This course is for anyone with limited or no medical training who needs a course completion card in first aid to meet job, regulatory or other requirements. Upon completion of this course, students receive an American Heart Association Heartsaver First Aid Course Completion Card that is valid for two years. (Note that this is not a Wilderness First Aid Class and does not cover CPR. See the main menu for those offerings.)
Instructor is Mike Niemeyer. Bio.
Location: Drakes Crossing Fire Station at 19364 Powers Creek Loop RD NE Silverton, OR 97381.
Class begins at 6 PM. This course will run 3.5 to 4 hrs depending on experience level of the class.
To Register: Send Mike Niemeyer an email to reserve your spot and bring a check for $20 to the class, made out to "Drakes Crossing RFPD."
- Mike Niemeyer (instructor)
- Steve Dougherty
- Chris Salaz
- It is recommended that you read the Heartsaver First Aid handbook listed below. (Copies of these materials will also be available in class for review.)
- Please wear loose, comfortable clothing to class. You will be practicing skills that require kneeling, bending, standing, and lifting.
- If you have any physical conditions that might prevent these activities, please tell one of the instructors. The instructor may be able to adjust the equipment to accommodate you. Also please tell your instructor if you are allergic to latex.
- Heartsaver First Aid and CPR Student Workbook is Available on Amazon as a used book for about $4.00) This workbook is good for both the Heartsaver CPR class and the Heartsaver First Aid class. This document has the 2010 protocols. The 2015 protocols are not yet available in a handbook but you can download an update at 2015 Student Workbook First aid updates .
- Free First Aid APP - The American Red Cross has a helpful first aid app for your smartphone, see http://www.redcross.org/mobile-apps/first-aid-app.